PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Meta - Size of Multi-form (JavaScript mode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Meta - Size of Multi-form (JavaScript mode)

Testing the idea of custom meta tags (e.g., TOPICTYPE name as shown below), and I'd like to give the multi-form selector a size of 1, but all I can get is a size of 4 ("All" plus three of the five values available for it). The result code is working fine.

My code in search.html is:

.zoom_metaform { font-size: 100%; }
    .zoom_metaform_multi { display: inline; size: 1; }
    .result_custommeta { display: block; }
    .result_metaname_TOPICTYPE { font-style: italic; }
    .result_metavalue_TOPICTYPE { font-style: regular; }

Is the css correct? If it is, would I have to edit the search.js or settings.js file to get what I want?

Leon

Off the top of my head, I don't recall how multiple-select form fields would be controlled via a "size" attribute in CSS. I thought it would more likely be controlled by a "width" and "height" attribute. Try that?

Remember also that different browsers may handle CSS attributes differently.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

No, width and height didn't help. You,re right, my web reference book indicates that most browsers default to 4 on the multiple selection. Sigh...

Switching to the regular drop-down, if I have two values for the same meta name on a page, selecting one value doesn't pick up the page in the Results.

Ex:
      <meta name="TOPICTYPE" content="Procedural" />
      <meta name="TOPICTYPE" content="Examples" />

No results found

Should the values appear in the same line, instead, such as:

<meta name="TOPICTYPE" content="Procedural", "Examples" />
      or
      <meta name="TOPICTYPE" content="Procedural, Examples" />

Comment

D-oh!

I just re-read the help and realized that multiple meta tags for the same meta name are only allowed when the multi-select option is operating. Therefore, I assume that only the first line is being picked up (which seems to match the results I'm getting).

Never mind, guys.

Thx,
        Leon

Comment

Originally posted by MergeThis View Post
          I just re-read the help and realized that multiple meta tags for the same meta name are only allowed when the multi-select option is operating. Therefore, I assume that only the first line is being picked up (which seems to match the results I'm getting).
          That's right.

But are you sure "height:" didn't work? I just tested it out and I could control the multi-select field in both IE8 and Firefox3. e.g.

Code:
          .zoom_metaform_multi {vertical-align:top; height: 35px;}
          The above style gives me a shrunken multi-select box that only fits 2 rows in this font.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hmmmm...interesting. Let me get back to you.

Comment

OK, that reduces the form to a single line, but it's not user-friendly for selecting multiples that way (once you select one the dropdown closes, so you have to reopen the form to add each successive selection). In addition, these multi forms do not retain my customized body scroll styles (scrollbar-face-color: Gainsboro; etc.), as do the single-selection forms (Category, Meta, etc.).

If I plan to use these meta tags, I'll stick to single selection instead.

Thx

Comment

Working...
              X