Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cgi help

Hi,

I read a lot of threads and can't seem to find what I need.

I want to use the cgi indexing for an idea I have but on my server I keep getting 500 errors. I read your faq's and asked my hosting comp. some questions too.

Here's the rundown,

This is the form I use:
    <form method="get" action="/cgi-bin/search.cgi">
    <input type="text" name="zoom_query" size="50" />
    <input type="submit" value="Search" />
    </form>

all the files in the right place.../cgi-bin/

I asked my hosting comp. if cgi binary executable was enabled on the folder:
    yes

I have suExec
    limits are:
    -20 sec cpu
    -7 child process

Here is the http://search.namha.ca/index.htm
    Have a look in the source if it can help.

If you say all is good then it's time to move hosting company...

Thanks much for your help

This seems to be more or less the same question you already asked.

The answer is still the same a yesterday,

See this FAQ for common problems and solutions with the CGI install,
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/faq_cgi.html
    The FAQ covers the "500" server side error.

But error 500 is just a general error message generated by your web server that means something has gone wrong on the server. There are about a dozen different possible causes.

Depending on your web server, there might be more details in the server log file.

If you are having problems with the CGI install then try the PHP or ASP options instead. They are easier to install.

If you really need or want to use the CGI option then we can offer an (paid) install service. But from time to time we see hosting companies claim they support CGI when they don't. The first step it to work out what environment is being used on the web server (which O/S; which CPU type x86, x64, Sparc; and which web server software).

Comment

I installed it in when you were in version 5 on another hosting company it worked fine then.

If I pay to have it installed where I am now and it still don't work I'm still not much advance.

Thanks much for your time.

Comment

Again I would suggest, to start with,

1) Looking at the server log file. If you are running the Apache web server, this is typically the "error_log" file on Unix/Linux systems and "error.log" on Windows.

Here is an example from our log. As you can see it gives more details than just a single error code,
        www.wrensoft.com [Tue Jan 04 15:40:59 2011] [error] [client 89.104.167.7] script '/usr/www/users/passmark/wrensoft/index.php' not found or unable to stat
        www.wrensoft.com [Tue Jan 04 16:58:17 2011] [error] [client 62.90.140.134] File does not exist: /usr/www/users/passmark/wrensoft/D2
        www.wrensoft.com [Tue Jan 04 17:09:23 2011] [error] [client 208.80.194.33] request failed: error reading the headers

2) Work out what environment is being used on the web server (which O/S; which CPU type x86, x64, Sparc; and which web server software). Without this information it is just pot luck that the CGI works or not.

Comment

Thanks for your time and advices Ray, much appreciated

will do, because I need this to work in .cgi ...

If I can't do it for some reason, how much is it to install and configure?
          pm me if better?

If I can get it running we will upgrade to Pro edition of course (testing with the free version only) and once we are full with that one, upgrade some more and once we are full, we will talk about special feature and so forth. All this assuming our plans works well.

Thanks again

Dan

Comment

Our rates are $90 / hour (Jan 2011) if you want us to do an install for you. We'll obviously need access to the machine. e.g. remote desktop, Telnet, FTP.

Comment

Working...
            X