Show PDF metafield Author in results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show PDF metafield Author in results

I have set my indexer to include the PDF meta field 'author' when building the index but I cannot see how to include this field in the results display. Is it possible to do this?

The author field text, like other meta data, is indexed with the text of the document. This meta data is searchable, but the author is not displayed as a separate entry in the results.

Comment

There's a neat trick to achieve this.

Zoom offers a Custom Meta Field feature which will show the field values in the search results (you can customize the colour and appearance via CSS, etc.)

Because the PDF plugin returns the Author field in the form of a meta tag (assuming you have "Scan options"->Double click ".pdf"->"Retrieve internal meta information" checked), what you can do is:
      1. Uncheck "Configure"->"Indexing options"->"Meta author" (to disable the behaviour described in the above post).
      2. Go to "Configure"->"Custom meta fields" and click "Add".
      3. Enter the custom meta field name of "AUTHOR",
        Set the Type dropdown to "Text"
        Show in search results as "Author"
        Search criteria name: "Author"
        Search criteria method: "Partial (substring) text match"
      Click OK and re-index.

Your search page should now feature an "Author" search field below your default search box. You can leave this blank or specify an author to search for.

You will find the results will now show the Author: on a line underneath the link. You can change the appearance of this via CSS (see the Users Guide for details).

You can also change how the search criteria will match when the user enters in something to the "Author" search field. An exact match will require the full name to be entered.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
      X