Context/Highlighting Glitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Context/Highlighting Glitch

I'm testing V6 under Java on a Web site under development and am finding it most impressive.

I want matching search words highlighted in any event and may go for the jump to option.

I can tick the boxes for those two options but the Context description tick box and its caption ("Context description") are greyed out. How come?

BTW, in readiness I have run the compiler, copied over the highlight.js file as instructed and added the extra javascript/onload code. Zoom works fine as before after those changes but without the ability to activate Context description, highlighting I have none! Any ideas why that's happening? Many thanks.

I'm testing V6 under Java
    Hi, we don't actually support Java as an option. I guess you mean Javascript (which is different beast entirely from Java).

The Javascript option doesn't support the display of document context. The reason being is that A) Javascript as a language isn't very powerful or fast, and B) With Javascript the entire index needs to be transfered to the client, and downloading the entire document content, for all documents on the site each search, would be slow.

Does your server support PHP, ASP, CGI or .NET.
    These all support context display and might be a better option for your site.

Comment

Context/Highlighting Glitch/CGI

Many thanks.

Yes, I did of course mean JavaScript. I'll be moving to CGI when the site goes live and wrongly supposed that the offline JS version would allow me to test all the functionality before doing so.

As to implementing the CGI server-side, I'm a tad confused by Section 5.5 of the User's Guide but perhaps better that I should make that the subject of a separate post.

Comment

The CGI option gives the best performance, but also the hardest to install (along with .NET).

If you get stuck see this FAQ
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/faq_cgi.html

Comment

Working...
        X