Images??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images??

I run Version 6.0 and I cannot get a thumbnail to show on my search page. What I have done is upload the image/plug in as I was told to do. I went into my public_html folder and in the "search" which is for zoom I have added a thumbnail folder. I have uploaded 1 image into that folder. The size of the image is 100x100 but I have reindexed and uploaded and the thumbnail still does not show up. What is the deal with the Custom Meta Tag in the configure panel? I have figured out how to edit the html page to suit my needs but I wish I could get a thumbnail beside the seach result of the item. I am sure it is something simple that I am not doing but can someone give me some advice. I read about the ZOOMIMAGE tag but I do not understand it.
    david52

To start with see this FAQ
    Q. How do I associate images with my search results?
    It covers everything you need to know about getting thumbs in search results.

What I have done is upload the image/plug in as I was told to do
    Note that there is a difference between doing a search for an image (which is covered here) and having thumbmails for your pages. You only need the image plugin if you are indexing images and then want to search images files (.jpg, .png, etc..), which I don't think is what you are trying to do. Even if you use the image plugin, then you don't upload it to your host, it needs to be installed on the same machine as the Zoom indexer is installed on.

I read about the ZOOMIMAGE tag but I do not understand it
    There are several options that can be used to associate a particular thumb to a page. ZOOMIMAGE is one of those options.

This image will then be displayed alongside the link when this page appears in the search results.
    To do this, you will need to insert a meta tag like the following on your chosen web page:
    <meta name="ZOOMIMAGE" content="images/redshoes.jpg">

This will associate the image "redshoes.jpg" in the images folder with the page that this tag is inserted in.

Comment

Ok so I think I know what u are talking about.
      it needs to be installed on the same machine as the Zoom indexer is installed on.
      So keep the images in a folder on my computer and in the zoom search indexer under the block of Scan Options, double click on say .jpg and click configure then under the display different thumbnails then top left ./ are you telling me to direct zoom to the folder on my desktop? And then the metaname do the
      <meta name="ZOOMIMAGE" content="images/redshoes.jpg">
      in the custom meta fields?.

Comment

Custom meta fields are a different feature. They are not related to thumbnail images. So don't confuse the two.

My comment about installing the plugin was only for the plugin. Which as stated, I don't think you need. So don't get confused about that either.

People visiting your web site need to see the thumbnails. So the thumbnails need to be on your server. Having them on your desktop machine won't help, as visitors to your web site won't have access to the thumbnail files on your desktop.

Are you trying to
        Associate images with my search results?
        or
        Index and search for image files (eg. JPG, GIF, PNG, TIFF)?

or maybe both?

In either case you should carefully read the pages above.

Comment

images

well, that is what I did in the beginning. I went into public_html/search which is the folder on my server zoom resides, then I created a folder within /search for Thumb so it would be public_html/search/thumb and I uploaded a image sized at 100x100. Now when I reindexed it never showed. Now I did go into scan options double click on .jpg and configure and did the 3td block on left "display different thumbnails and I just do not understand why it does not show. I use agoracart on my site and I went into content page for the item and put in the meta tag which u spoke of ZOOMIMAGE but it still does not work. I contributed to ur cause for 49.00 and I thought it would be easier than this to add a image to the search page, then I have over 100 clocks indexed and I would like to show a thumbnail for each on the search page. If u want to see what I am talking about go to http://edscukoouhren.com/search/search.php and punch in 1073 and you will get the link to go to the page but no image. Hopefully I am just stupid at this as I have been on all my deals with creating this site and it is just something simple I am not doing.
          tks
          david52

Comment

Looking at your site, it looks like you haven't turned on thumbnails.

From the help file, "To allow images to appear in your search results, you will first need to enable "Image" on the "Results Layout" tab of the Configuration window."

Then you need to re-index your site and upload a new set of index files.

Now I did go into scan options double click on .jpg and configure and did the 3td block on left "display different thumbnails and I just do not understand why it does not show.
            Doing this would mean that you just get thumbs for .JPG files and no other file types. Your main product pages are .CGI files, so it might make sense to do this for .CGI files, but if you are planning on using the ZOOMIMAGE meta tag on all your pages, then you don't need to associate thumbs with any particular file extension. Just turn on images in the search result and add ZOOMIMAGE tags on the pages.

Comment

Ok, I thank you for that one. I will dig into it later today with it being sunday and all here since I am in the US and you are in Sidney. I am sure I can make it work but I do get a little confused at times. I have only been at this for 2 years and did not know squat about building web sites. Being self taught and reading info on the web and W3C on the web. You got a good product, it has been very trustworthy since i installed it in the past. Keep up the good work, I thank you for your personal replies to my Email Address last week. Got to go for now my friend.
              david52

Comment

Working...
              X