Please Help...Form Search Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help...Form Search Not Working

I am VERY new. I purchased the Professional yesterday; and unable to get it working.

I made a "search" on my website, but we someone tries to search, this message comes up:

"The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
    The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log."

Please tell me what I need to do to fix this. Also, I did go look for the error in the error log, and there was not an error...

Thanks.
    Last edited by Deanna; Jul-28-2011, 08:12 PM.

What script are you using?
    PHP, ASP, JS, .NET or CGI?

Does your server support the script option you selected?

What is the URL for the search function so we can see it in action.

Comment

I am using PHP. Yes, server supports this.

www.toltecltg.com

Now, we have a page to come up when someone types words, but it will not work for numbers. (those were ALL Skipped) We have many item numbers, and this is the reason for having the search. What can I do so the item #'s will appear in the search?

Also, there are "warnings" on the search page:

Warning: unpack() [function.unpack]: Type v: not enough input, need 2, have 0 in /hermes/bosweb/web048/b486/apo.bzrmkegu/search.php on line 1508

Warning: fopen(./logs/searchwords.log) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hermes/bosweb/web048/b486/apo.bzrmkegu/search.php on line 3176

I need all help I can get.
      Thanks
      Last edited by Deanna; Jul-29-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Search Form

I am using PHP. Yes, server supports this.

www.toltecltg.com

Now, we have a page to come up when someone types words, but it will not work for numbers. (those were ALL Skipped) We have many item numbers, and this is the reason for having the search. What can I do so the item #'s will appear in the search?

Also, there are "warnings" on the search page:

Warning: unpack() [function.unpack]: Type v: not enough input, need 2, have 0 in /hermes/bosweb/web048/b486/apo.bzrmkegu/search.php on line 1508

Warning: fopen(./logs/searchwords.log) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hermes/bosweb/web048/b486/apo.bzrmkegu/search.php on line 3176

I need all help I can get.
        Thanks

Comment

There seems to be several problems here.

The unpack() warning as Zoom indicates "Zoom config error: The zoom_pageinfo.zdat file is invalid or not up-to-date. Please make sure you have uploaded all files from the same indexing session."

To correct this issue, make sure you upload all the files Zoom produces in the output folder to your webserver. Do not mix and match files from different indexing sessions. To be certain, you can delete all the Zoom related files on your webserver and in the output folder.

The fopen(./logs/searchwords.log) warning indicates that you have specify to log user searches, but have not created the directory/file on your server. If you want to use the default location specified. You need to create a directory called "logs" and in that directory create a file call "searchwords.log". Also, correct server side permissions are required. Please see the following support page for more help.

http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/logging.html

Another problem I encounter on your search page is that subsequent searches from the search.php page will return a 404 error. It seems you specified a Link Back URL in the "Advanced" tab. Unless there is a reason you need to, it should not be filled in.

Once those problems are fixed. We can look further to see why product numbers are not being found. Please note that partial product numbers are technically different "word" than the full product number. To search for partial product number, it is advise to use the "*" (asterisk symbol) to wildcard match. For example, searching for "22-BRZ" will produce no results, but a search for "22-BRZ-*" will show results for 22-BRZ-408, 22-BRZ-750, etc.

Comment

Search Form

Wow! That's a lot and went right over my head!

What if I uninstall Zoom and start completely over?

I have watched the video and it seems so easy. I am so overwhelmed with this, I am getting very confused.

Let's try this:

On the video, he puts "temp" as the output directory. Can you tell me step-by-step what I need here? I was just putting my "www.toltecltg.com..." file name there. Maybe this is wrong. I have never heard of output directory before.
            Where do I create one of these?

Then, close to the end of video there is a path I have to type in.
            I called our host and they created a file /seo in the root directory for me to use.. #1 I don't know where that is, #2 Is this what I'm suppose to show?
            #3 If not, what goes in that spot for the path?

These may be what is causing all the problems...This is the 3rd day and I'm going batty.

Comment

What if I uninstall Zoom and start completely over?
              Yes do this, you have turned on a bunch of features from the "Advanced" configuration window. You should leave them at their default values. Not sure why you would play with the advanced settings if you are struggling with the concept of a directory?

This is the 3rd day
              If your time is worth anything, the it is time to call in a professional. It really should take no more than 10 - 15min minutes for an experienced web developer.

Comment

Search Form

Yes, today is 3rd day!!!

Experience web developer? I am 45 years old and had to learn the hard way with the website and still don't know everything about it. I'm not experience, unlike some on here.

In the instructions it said we could change things.....

I asked questions on here about the output directory and you didn't even answer the questions.

So, please help answer those questions instead of giving me a lecture.

Comment

You can find the User's Guide here.

From the guide,
                  "Output Directory,
                  This is the directory in which the index files generated will be saved. Usually you would put this in the same directory as your website files so that they can be uploaded together."

Here is the Wikipedia entry on directory.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directory_(file_systems)
                  It does a better job of explaining what a directory is than I could.

Comment

Search Form

Yes, I read that about output directory, but that doesn't tell me much.
                    I see it as putting it in the same file as where my website is held in C: drive.
                    but that must not be it since I'm having troubles.

But, the video doesn't show as such, it shows 'temp', so that's why it's confusing because in the video he didn't explain how or where with the output directory.

the link is not a good link. thanks however.

Comment

The video was done as an example. It won't reflect your exact circumstances.

I see it as putting it in the same file as where my website is held in C: drive.
                      You seem to be confused as to the difference between a folder and a file.
                      I think you mean 'same folder'.

The output folder can be any folder you want. It is just a location to store the files before moving them to your web site. But using the same folder as your web site keeps things neat.

Comment

Form Search

Ok. Thanks. Got it working, almost.

Now, please explain why so many of our pages are being skipped?
                        These are our products' item numbers.

In the log, it gives "blocked by extensions list".

What can I do to fix this?

Also, if I search 22 nothing comes up, but with 22* there are a few to come up to choose form.

Our customers and potential customers will not know to use the *. Is there a way to fix this so the * doesn't have to be used?

Comment

I did a quick test indexing of your site. With the basic configuration set. The only pages that were being skipped were your images. If you want to index images, you will need to install the image Plug-Ins and add the extension to your "Scan options" configuration.

As mentioned before, partial product numbers are technically different "word" than the full product number. Using the asterisk "*" wildcard search is recommended. Otherwise, the other options is to "substring match" under the "Languages" tab. This is almost equivalent to performing a search with "*" being appended and pre-pended. This will mean the script will consider search words that occurs within another word to be considered a match for all searches. Which can degrade the search results and can cause irrelevant matches at time.

Comment

Java Script

Thanks, Richard!

The "substring match" is exactly what we needed!!

I've installed the plug-ins and going to see how this works. Thanks for ALL your help.

Comment

Working...
                            X