X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searchwords log problem

Hello Ray...

I need to know 3 things

1. is this the correct url for my search log?
    http://www.linux.hcvadvocate.org/logs/searchwords.log

I have set the permissions to read (on the folder but not on the file)

2. I get an error message about the selected file being the wrong type created before zoom 3 and an unexpected error on line 1 about expected date token or invalid data.

3. When I go to the statistics subfolder on my computer in the indexer folder from the search tools menu it does not see an log file, although I've placed a copy there..

How do I proceed?

Thanks in advance

CD

You control the location of the log file from the Advanced configuration window in Zoom. So we can't tell you what you typed in as a file name.

But as the domain, www.linux.hcvadvocate.org is invalid even before you add on the log file name, it would seem unlikely this URL is correct.

You need to set create and write permission on the folder and not just read.

You should be able to delete the file, then when the next search is done a new log file will be automatically created in the correct format.

See this FAQ for details,
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/logging.html

Comment

I don't understand why that comes up invalid.. this link works

http://linux.hcvadvocate.org/cgi-bin/sg_lookup1.cgi

Is it the www?

CD

Comment

Hi Ray.. I was just on the phone with my ISP.. The correct address is http://linux.hcvadvocate.org/logs/searchwords.log, the file is there, but I get that error message about an earlier version etc... that I mentioned before..

Now what?

Thanks

CD

Comment

i get that error if the first line is blank. The log should start on the first line.

Comment

and how do you get the log to start on the first line?

Originally posted by ohyeahitsgood View Post
            i get that error if the first line is blank. The log should start on the first line.

Comment

Is it the www?
              Yes, seems to be a valid URL once the www. is removed.

At the moment the log is not a log file.
              It looks like it is a HTML file with the HTML source code from some other page in it. So this is why you get the error about the log file not being in the expected format.

As already stated, you should be able to delete the file, then when the next search is done a new log file will be automatically created in the correct format. If this doesn't work, then there is a directory permissions issue. See the FAQ linked above for details.

Or if none of this makes any sense, just turn off logging.

Comment

Hi Ray.. Thanks.. Could you explain.. What happens if I turn of logging? Will I then be able to get reports? Sorry.. I'm not very savvy with all of this

Comment

Yes, turning off logging means you will not get reports. But logging requires a level of familiarity with file permissions and managing the files hosted on your web server.

You had the wrong URL, have set the wrong permissions (read only instead of read/write/create) and placed the wrong file (a HTML file instead of a log file) as required so far. So you may need help from somebody who is more experienced with these ideas. Or you may need to look up tutorials on file permissions and more web development basics to get yourself familiar with these methods. All the information you need is given above but you need to follow them carefully to achieve this.
                  --Ray
                  Wrensoft Web Software
                  Sydney, Australia
                  Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Yeah.. I'm lost.. Sorry.. Well I'm on the phone with my ISP... Apparently there is a problem with the permissions on the site (that I didn't touch). I'm not familiar with CGI or linux.. We had someone do this for is many years ago for some other databases.. and I just hack the html on the other site.

We do need a report.. So.. I'm on to the support people at my ISP

Later

CD

Comment

all you have to do is use an ftp program to set the permission to 755 for the search.cgi and 644 for the others. But if you upload via the program itself it sets permissions for you.

Comment

ohyeahitsgood,
                        CGI is already running, so permissions on the CGI isn't the issue.

The issue is permissions on the "logs" folder to allow a log file to be created.

Details were already in the FAQ along with screen shots and all.
                        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/logging.html
                        but for someone who hasn't used Linux, FTP, CGI, etc.. it would seem complex.

This is why we put the logging stuff in the "Advanced" section of the Zoom configuration. It routinely confuses the novice web developers.

Can't do much to make it more simple however. Writing a log file needs write permissions on the server.

Comment

Working...
                        X