all search terms / some search terms - ASP.NET vs. CGI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all search terms / some search terms - ASP.NET vs. CGI

I have Zoom Search set up on our production server using ZoomASPX.dll, and I have it set up on our dev server using CGI.

I have both machines set up to index the production content, and I have verified that the list of URLs to be indexed is the same on both machines.

When I create an index, the stats for how many files indexed, skipped, etc. match across machines.

On the production server, this is an example of the header info that shows:

Search results for: food beverage in all categories

123 results found containing all search terms. 20 results found containing some search terms.
    But when I look at the XML output from the dev server, I see this:

<zoom:searchquery>food beverage</zoom:searchquery>
    <zoom:searchcategory>All</zoom:searchcategory>
    <opensearch:totalResults>143</opensearch:totalResults>
    <opensearch:startIndex>1</opensearch:startIndex>
    <opensearch:itemsPerPage>10</opensearch:itemsPerPage>
    There's nothing in there about how many results contain all search terms and how many contain some search terms.

In a thread I found while poking around, Administrator Ray says this about the XML output:

To return all the presentation options available in HTML somewhat defeats this purpose. For example, with the summary messages "x results found, y containing all words, ...etc.", you can determine and create your own messages based on the information given regarding total number of pages found, etc. Similarly with highlighting.
    Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but doesn't it imply that the information about how many results contain all words is included in the XML output?

What am I missing?

<opensearch:totalResults>143</opensearch:totalResults>
    I think was done like this to comply with the opensearch specification. Which doesn't break up the matches into different types of matches.

Can you use the HTML output on the dev server?

Comment

I think I simply haven't realized that when I made that older post. And as noted above, the OpenSearch specification does not have an element for it, and we must haev decided it wasn't significant enough to warrant a custom element. We may revisit this in a later version if people need it.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I think I simply haven't realized that when I made that older post. And as noted above, the OpenSearch specification does not have an element for it, and we must haev decided it wasn't significant enough to warrant a custom element. We may revisit this in a later version if people need it.
        OK - so it's not that I'm missing something. The situation is that information is not in the XML output.

It's certainly not a deal-breaker, but it would be nice to be able to generate the same output via XML that you can generate other ways.

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
        X