Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom6 Doesn't index pdfs when links are through PHP download counters

Hi,
    I'm using Zoom6 professional. I am trying to get it to index searchable pdf files. the path of these files go through a download counter php script. an example is:
    coptic-treasures.com/arabic/html/download.php?file=تفسير-سفر-اخبار-الايام-الاول-القمص-تادرس-يعقوب-ملطي.pdf

where the file goes through the script called "download.php" which sends the file to the user and counts the download.
    However i face 2 problems:

1- this file does not get indexed at all (where with Arabic file name or English File name). if you searched for any word in it you get zero results.

2-Its tile comes in the search results as " NO TITLE" despite ALL the pdf metadata are filled in, title, author, description, keywords...etc

the "download.php" script is NOT the problem, as i tried this on more than 10 scripts and got the same results.

Any idea how to get Zoom search 6 to index the words inside the pdf, and fix the title problem?

P.S. i tried Zoom search V7 Alpha9 and did not work either.

I'm using spider mode, of course !

UPDATE: I even added a ".desc" file with the title and description, yet the search results still shows "NO TITLE" !!!

Thanks
    Last edited by atef; Sep-22-2012, 11:46 AM. Reason: Adding .desc note.

You sent a support question about this issue a week ago.
    We looked into it and found the download download script was in fact the problem. The script was adding extra data to the end of each PDF file, effectively corrupting the files. For some files this didn't matter, but for other files the corruption was such that the file couldn't be indexed (and also wouldn't load in PDF viewers).

If you wish to disprove this then I suggest temporarily removing the download script and just have direct links to the PDF files. If you still have a problem with a direct link, then please get back to us.

Comment

Thanks,
      That's why i said " the "download.php" script is NOT the problem, as i tried this on more than 10 scripts and got the same results." !
      what you are referring to was correct, about 10 scripts ago.
      Since i sent the support ticket i tried around 10 scripts, from various authors, and Zoom search did not detect any file with them.
      if you downloaded the pdf i mentioned above now, you'll find that the file ends with %%EOF and no additions.

The log file says " indexing {http://}coptic-treasures.com/arabic/html/download.php?file=تفسير-سفر-اخبار-الايام-الاول-القمص-تادرس-يعقوب-ملطي.pdf (without the {}, i just put them to stop converting the text to link)

However, it shows in the search results as "NO TITLE", and if you searched for any word that is contained in it, you don't get any results.

When almost 10 scripts give the same results, this suggests that Zoom search is not capable of dealing with files that goes through a download counter.

What the download counter does is that when the user clicks on the modified link, the script (download.php) records the click in a database, and sends the requested file to the user.

I got the same results with Ababic and English file names.

I sent you a detailed reply via email on Friday, hope you can read it and comment.

Comment

Thanks Raymond from Wrensoft.
        Addressed the problems via detailed emails. problems solved.
        Thanks again

Comment

Could you tell me what download script you use successfully with Zoom? I would love to be able to count downloads too!

Roger Pilon

Comment

I assume you are aware that a download script isn't required to count downloads.

You can use the web server logs to see what files are requested from your server. Pretty much every server is already writing out logs, so why add he extra overhead of a script?

Comment

Working...
            X