Home » Forum
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inline elements in the title (search result page)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inline elements in the title (search result page)

Hi folks!

I am trying to get inline elements in the titles of my result page. The scan is on html files and the title tag is like this one:

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
    <title>This is my title <sup>333</sup> <b>bold text</b></title>
    </head>
    (...)

My problem: the result page represents the inline tags as a plain text instead to interpret them as an html markup. The markup of <b> and <sup> is escaped:

<a href="page_00003.htm?zoom_highlight=This+is+my+tit le">
    <span class="highlight">This</span> is <span class="highlight">my</span> <span class="highlight">title</span> &lt;sup&gt;333&lt;/sup&gt; &lt;b&gt;bold text&lt;/b&gt;
    </a>

How can I get inline tags in my result page titles?

The answer is that you can't get inline tags in your results page. The behavior you are seeing is normal, including any markup inside the <title> tag is not consider valid HTML.

See the spec, http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/stru...l.html#h-7.4.2

You can also verify this by running your page through W3C Markup Validation Service.

Comment

Well,*the answer was*not unexpected * Is there*another option?*For example*-* take*the result item*from some different html-element?
      I saw that*this is possible*for PDF and for some other file formats.

Any other*workaround would be*welcome too.

Comment

I can't think of any solution except to use valid HTML, or customise our script.

Comment

Working...
        X