PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which method is recommended, local or online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which method is recommended, local or online?

Hi, I have a static site containing around 300 .php files (with text content) linking to 450 MB in binary files (doc, docx, pdf and ppt files)

Since I do have a local copy of the site I guess the easiest indexing method would be to index my local copy and upload the index files.

I briefly tested this with the free version and it worked, but that left out most of the contents because it is binary (I intend to buy a license).

would you suggest otherwise for the full indexing process?

Thanks in advance.
    Maddop

If your development machine has a webserver installed that can handle/interpret .PHP pages, then "Spidering" locally would be much faster.

Alternatively, if you are just interested in only indexing the binary files, you may be able to use offline indexing mode.

Comment

Indexing on your local machine in offline mode is the fastest option. But it won't execute all the PHP files, as offline mode doesn't use a web server.

Indexing on your local machine in spider mode is the second fastest option. But in this case the URLs in the search results will point to your local machine. So you'll need to use the re-write links option to fix them up.

Running the indexing on the remote server in spider mode is (probably) the third fastest option. But I don't know if your server will deal with this.

Indexing the remote server from your local machine in spider mode is the 4th fastest option. It is also probalby the easiest option. The URLs will be correct straight away, PHP files will be executed correctly and there is no issues with resource usage on the server.

Comment

great answers

Yes, I can easily manage to do a local spidering, not so sure if I can make the cgi version work here ... i will give it a try.

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
        X