Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• php memory limit 64 MB

Hi,
    as the title says, my shared hosting provider tops PHP memory limit at 64 MB.

Do I stand a chance to succesfully index and search my 500 MB site? (450 MB in binary files)

If not I should go for the cgi option I guess?

AFAIK I can set cgi's to be executable, can I test this method with or do I have to look at any other requisite?

Thanks in advance.

Hard to say for sure. Depends on the content and the type of the files. 500MB of DOCX files (which are compressed) can have a huge amount of text in them.

If your hosting company is limiting PHP, then they might also limit CGI.
    But the CGI, being programmed in C++, is significantly more efficient, using less RAM and less CPU time to search the same data.

Using the CGI is possible even with the free edition of the software, but not all hosts will support CGI.

For others reading this, this FAQ and old post have more details,
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...hp_outofmemory
    http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?12

Comment

Thanks for the thorough answers!

I think these are mostly .doc and .pdf files and just a few are .docx. And the size is usually due to embedded images.

Anyway, I expect to be doing further tests this week and see how that works.

Thank you both.

Comment

Hi,

In case this helps someone else, I ran a test indexing my binary files, and it seems to work very well PLUS I had no problems with the memory limit using the PHP option.

I haven't tried the CGI option yet but it is great to now that PHP worked without hassle. Performance was great too!

Obviously the results might be different for someone with their own contents, but i figured sharing this possitive experience was due.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
        X