Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review previous 5 searches & suggest words as search terms are typed

Hi,

I don't think these features are a possibility, but I'm doing my due diligence to get official confirmation and convince "others" (and we'll leave it at that) .

I'm using V6 10.28 version in Javascript mode.

1. Is it possible to capture the last 5 or so previous searches a user performed so that they can click on a link on the search page that says, 'My last searches..."? If not, then why?

2. Is it possible to display matching words which the user is typing in a search term? Similar to google search. If not, then why?

I have already said no to both questions, but I need some backup.

Thank you!

Originally posted by JG867 View Post
    I'm using V6 10.28 version in Javascript mode.

1. Is it possible to capture the last 5 or so previous searches a user performed so that they can click on a link on the search page that says, 'My last searches..."? If not, then why?
    It is technically not possible with JavaScript. JavaScript is code that executes entirely within your browser. It does not execute on the server. So if you access the search page on your computer, it is executing on your computer. Where would it store the search history? If it stores it on your computer, then no one else would ever see it.

Now if you're talking about just YOUR personal last 5 searches (not what other people have searched for), then that's possible. But then most browsers already have a personal search box history (when you type in the box, it shows a previously typed value).

With PHP, ASP, and CGI, these versions execute on your web server. So it can actually store the search history on the server. For these platforms we have an option to create a search statistics log file.

2. Is it possible to display matching words which the user is typing in a search term? Similar to google search. If not, then why?
    We will have this for PHP, ASP, ASP.NET and CGI in the upcoming next major release -- V7 (which is currently still work in progress and in alpha testing stage.) Details are available here

If you want these sort of features, we would recommend considering moving to a server-side platform (PHP being the easiest to get going). Most, if not all, web hosts would offer either PHP or ASP support. Usually the only reason to use JavaScript is if you are running the search engine on a CD or DVD.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post

Now if you're talking about just YOUR personal last 5 searches (not what other people have searched for), then that's possible. But then most browsers already have a personal search box history (when you type in the box, it shows a previously typed value).

thank you!

I knew the limitation was due to javascript. We use javascript search in our documentation because the documentation (user documentation) is available within a pull-down menu in our software. It's not stored on a server or on a web-page anywhere.

How is it possible to view the last 5 "personal" searches, without using a built-in browser function?

Comment

How is it possible to view the last 5 "personal" searches, without using a built-in browser function?
        It won't be very useful. I'm talking about just what you are currently searching for, but as soon as you leave the search page (e.g. clicking on a result link), the history would be lost. As soon as the search page is refreshed, it would be lost too.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X