Solution to suexec errors with cgi search in Centos6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solution to suexec errors with cgi search in Centos6

I'm posting this here as I spent all too many hours trying to determine why the Zoom V6 cgi search script would not run on a newly provisioned Centos6.5 server. Trying to search produced the dreaded Internal Server Error message. The fix turned out to be simple. If Google leads you to this post, here's the problem and solution.

The Apache error log showed AH01215: suexec policy violation: see suexec log for more details. That's helpful. Turning to the suexec log there were only entries stating (2)No such file or directory: exec failed (search.cgi).

Looking into search.cgi I saw a plain-text reference to /lib/ld-linux.so.2. That's a glibc component, so I went searching to make sure the appropriate symlink was there: ls -lt /lib/ld-linux*

To my surprise, this returned an empty directory listing. I was under the impression that glibc is an integral component of the entire Linux system and was surprised the system even booted without it. Perhaps this has changed in Centos 6.5. At any rate, installing glibc (yum install glibc.i686) was all that was needed to make Zoom's cgi search functional again.

Thanks for the post Ethan.

Yes it is odd if glibc isn't included with CentOS 6.5. I'm pretty sure we've tested with a previous build of CentOS before and had no problems straight out of the box. So this may be of help to anyone having trouble with the latest.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
      Thanks for the post Ethan.

Yes it is odd if glibc isn't included with CentOS 6.5. I'm pretty sure we've tested with a previous build of CentOS before and had no problems straight out of the box. So this may be of help to anyone having trouble with the latest.
      We have used Zoom for nearly a decade on a series of CentOS-based boxes (including through CentOS 6.4) with great results. We recently provisioned a new server to handle databases and search. It started with a vanilla 6.5 install. A brief perusal of tales of woe on the web showed a number of strange glibc related problems with 6.5.

Comment

This is unfortunately pretty typical of Linux in general. It is very hard to to get a single Linux binary that will run across a large number of platforms. Even compiling from source code each time is often problematic. Many of the people releasing new distros don't give any thought to backwards compatibility.

Comment

Working...
        X