Multiple results per page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple results per page

I don't think this can be done, but just in case...
    I have a site with a small number of pages, but each page has content in a carousel with a number of tabs, each with text content (and images).

Therefore, I would like to have 2 things :

The search results link should open the target page and move the carousel to the appropriate tab. I think this is do-able by enabling the highlighting option in Zoom as this adds a query string element to the link so I could grab that on the target page and activate the carousel accordingly.

However, the second problem is the same searchable word may appear in multiple tabs on the carousel on the same page, so I would need Zoom's search result to return a (unique) link for each instance. I think Zoom will only return 1 link for each page for the searched word - is there any way round this?

Thanks

I don't think it is possible, but will ask anyway!

Can Zoom return a link for each instance of a searched word on a page, eg if the word being searched for appears on a page 3 times, can Zoom return 3 links in the search result?

The reason is I have a site with a small number of pages, but with content on each page held in a carousel with a number of tabs. The same words may possibly appear in different tabs in the same carousel.

I would like the search results to list each instance and when clicked open the page and have the carousel jump to that tab.

I have tested enabling 'jump and highlight' so it adds a query string to the page link which I could then grab on the target page with javascript and activate the carousel, but I can't find a way of having multiple results for a singler page. CaAn this be done?

Thanks

Comment

The short answer is no.

I'm not sure how your carousel work or how much scripting you're planning to do on your end. The highlighting option in Zoom will only give you the keyword that has matched. So I don't see how this could help you identify which tab to highlight. Unless you're assuming the keyword matched will always and only appear on one particular carousel. But surely there are other common words on each tab that might match?

If there is a very limited number of pages and limited number of keywords that you have to match by, then you can consider using the "Recommended Links" feature. This allows you to specify an exact URL for a particular searched word. You can then have multiple recommended link URLs to the same page. e.g.

Recommend link WORD: bob
      Recommend link URL: http://www.mysite.com/carousel.html#bob

Recommend link WORD: dog
      Recommend link URL: http://www.mysite.com/carousel.html#dog

But this means you have to specify all the possible words/combinations that you are after. Perhaps this is feasible in your situation given what you said above.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

OK, thanks. Unfortunately, manually maintaining recommended links is not practical.
        Is it likely multiple results per page is likely to be added at a later date? I can see this option being very useful.

Comment

Frankly, it still doesn't make much sense without a more strict definition of what multiple results mean. What are you determining the multiple results by? Are you using anchor tags (as seen above with "carousel.html#bob" and "carousel.html#dog")?

Are there segments within the page, e.g.

Code:
          <a name="bob" />
          This is the section about bob

<a name="dog" />
          This is the section about his dog
          But this doesn't tell us where one section ends.

Or are they DIV tags?

Code:
          <div id="bob">
          This is the section about bob
          </div>

<div id="dog">
          This is the section about dog
          </div>
          It is not as simple as just "allowing" for multiple results. The multiple results have to be meaningfully divided as separate items, with separate keywords, etc.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
          X