Zoom Indexer 6 vs 7 – Authentication feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom Indexer 6 vs 7 – Authentication feature

I have question for Zoom developers because I am baffled and don’t know what to think. I will try to describe the issue as best as I can.

We bought Zoom Search Engine v6 Enterprise a while ago and use it to index our public website and intranet site in spider mode. Our intranet site using HTTPS and does not allow anonymous access.

In Zoom 6 (installed build 1029) I have configuration file for our Intranet site. There, under Authentication tab I don’t have any (neither HTTP nor cookie-based) authentication enabled. When I run Zoom Indexer 6 to index our secured Intranet site it works fine.

Now, last year we bought upgrade to Zoom Search Engine v7. For now I have both versions (6 & 7) installed on my Windows 10 workstation and I will uninstall version 6 when I implement version 7 for our public site. Current installed Zoom Search v7.1 is build 1019.

This January our Intranet site was migrated to new Windows 2016 web server, but I don’t think it is related to my issue. So, here is the issue:

When I run Zoom Search Indexer v7 to index our Intranet site (without any authentication enabled) I get message in the log:

"“Could not download file: https://intranet.ourcollege.edu (401 HTTP Error)”"

When I put domain user ID and password in Zoom v7 for HTTP authentication indexer works fine.

Did anything change in Zoom v7 vs v6 in terms of authentication feature?
    Why Zoom v6 can index our secure Intranet site anonymously and v7 needs domain ID and password to be enabled for HTTP authentication?

Thanks

Zoom V6 used more of Windows' built-in features, such as the WinInet component for Internet / HTTP access. This means it may have been able to use credentials that were already authorised from your use of Internet Explorer.

Zoom V7 was rewritten for cross platform compatibility, and it did away with the reliance on WinInet. This also gave us the benefit of being able to diagnose and fix problems that were previously within WinInet that we could not address.

This is why V7 requires a separate set of credentials/authorisation as it can not use what has been entered elsewhere in Windows/IE.

Hope that clears things up.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

It is clear now.

Thanks Ray.

Comment

Working...
      X