Strange HTML errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange HTML errors

In the last few scans I've been seeing hundreds of lines like this pop up in the logs:

Suspected invalid HTML (possible unmatched quote characters) after line 100 on page: http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/cctalk...July/0934.html (content may not be correctly indexed)

I've grabbed a few of these pages at random and dropped the page code into Dreamweaver but have been uable to identify what the error may be (after line X is not overly hepful either) - the code looks good. DW's own error checking does not highlight any code errors either.

Any clues from anyone please.

We checked the same page here using the latest build and didn't get the warning.

So first check that you are using the latest version and build (V7.1 build 1020 at time of writing):
    https://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

Also, on line 147 onwards, there are double quote characters in the content of the page. For example:

Code:
    TeoZ: [b]"[/b]Data conversion (Commodore 64, 8250 Disk Drive, SuperBase)[b]"[/b]
    These should really be encoded in HTML entities, e.g.

Code:
    TeoZ: [b]"[/b]Data conversion (Commodore 64, 8250 Disk Drive, SuperBase)[b]"[/b]
    Having said that, these quotes are matching so it should not trigger the warning above. This matches the correct behaviour in the latest build.

But conventional HTML standard/practice would require these characters to be encoded.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Ray!!! I am using build 1020. As this is not my site I might just have to live with it.

Comment

Odd that I'm not seeing the problem here indexing the same page.

Might be worth making sure you're not indexing a cached copy of the page. Under "Configure"->"Spider options" select "Reload all files (do not use cache)"
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X