autocomplete not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• autocomplete not working

I was getting a lot of crazy suggestions when I entered a search query. I figured they were from the browser. I put autocomplete="off" in the form input element. This got rid of the spurious suggestions, but I have not been able to get the zoom autocomplete to work. I set autocomplete in the indexer. I also approved use of searchwords.log in autocomplete and set write permission on this file. I verified that search queries are being added to this log file. So far I have received no suggestions for any search terms I have entered.I must be missing something.

I don't think I explained very well the problem I was having. When I used the form generated by the script, everything worked well. Then I changed the setting in the indexer to not generate a form. I then inserted my own form in the template search_template.html with

<form method="get" action="search.php"> and <input name="zoom_query" id="zoom_query" type="text autocomplete= "off">

The autocomplete="off" was to get rid of the browser autocomplete. This worked fine as far as searching was concerned, but the zoom autocomplete wasn't working. I then discovered an article at

https://www.wrensoft.com/forum/zoom-...e-on-your-site

that described some changes in the html and an added script that would that would enable autocomplete on search forms on other pages. I made these change to search_template.html and that did the trick. I also changed zoom_query to zoom_searchbox in <body onLoad="document.getElementById('zoom_query').focu s()"> since the id in the <input> was changed. Everything now works fine.

Comment

Glad to hear you got it working.

If you are creating your own search form and trying to get the autocomplete script to work, a handy diagnostic is to use the browser's Console window (usually under the "Developer Tools" as in Chrome) to see what error messages may be occurring.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

It turns out that I didn't need to insert the script and the additional links found in the article cited in my previous post. However, I did need to make the alterations to the input element of the form, namely

<input class="zoom_searchbox" name="zoom_query" id="zoom_searchbox" type="text" autocomplete="off">

I also made the following change to the body element

<body onLoad="document.getElementById('zoom_searchbox'). focus()">

With these changes to search_template.html the autocomplete works with my own search form as expected.
        Last edited by benthien; Jun-05-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

It appears that I don't need the class zoom_searchbox either. I have found it necessary to use the id zoom_searchbox.

Comment

Working...
          X