Windows or Linux version needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows or Linux version needed?

I currently use Zoom v6 Enterprise, generate all my index files on my Windows v7 desktop, before uploading them to my Apache Linux server, where all the searches are carried out online.

Do I now need both a Windows and a Linux version of the software, because both the indexer and CGI search engine are supplied for one platform only? In other words, the Zoom v7 Windows version includes the Windows indexer, but not the Linux GCI search binary?

I guess the solution is to carry out my indexing online too?
    Last edited by iantresman; Jun-10-2014, 05:06 PM.

I was wondering the same thing for this. Does anybody have any thoughts... new to Zoom.
    Michael Lazar - Sr. Growth Hacker
    TrueShip Shipping & Returns Management Software

Comment

Originally posted by iantresman View Post
      Do I now need both a Windows and a Linux version of the software, because both the indexer and CGI search engine are supplied for one platform only? In other words, the Zoom v7 Windows version includes the Windows indexer, but not the Linux GCI search binary?
      Zoom V7 does not change how the software works previously, there is still two portion of the program, the Indexer and the search script (plus the set of index files teh indexer generates). If you would like to carry out your indexing in a Windows platform then you can use the Windows Version. If you have suitable permissions to install software on your Linux server, you can use the Linux version. Both will contain the Linux CGI search binary as part of the output files from the index. The advantage of the Linux version on a webserver, is that there is a PHP web interface that you can use to run the indexer. The advantage of the Windows release is that you can run it from your desktop or laptop and it work better with shared hosting (where you often have limited permission to install new software)

You can see the compare the different editions/versions on the following page,

http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/editions.html

Comment

Originally posted by iantresman View Post
        In other words, the Zoom v7 Windows version includes the Windows indexer, but not the Linux GCI search binary?
        Zoom V7 for Windows consists of: the Windows indexer, and the CGI's for Windows, Linux, and BSD.

In other words, as Richard said, this has not changed from V6.

Zoom V7 for Linux consists of: the Linux indexer, and the CGI's for Windows/Linux/BSD.
        Zoom V7 for Mac consists of: the Mac OSX indexer, and the CGI's for Windows/Linux/BSD.

Basically, the differences are only with the Indexer.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X