Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using plugins with limited rights

Hi,

I'd like to use Zoom Search for indexing offline content (mainly PDF and Word documents) but the environment I'm working with has very tight security rules. As a consequences, I can only run "custom" programs if they are installed in a specific folder (e.g.: "c:\CustomSoft\...").

I got Zoom Search installed but the plugins are installed in a separate folder in the "c:\ProgramData\" folder. This means that when the search engine try to access the plugin, it can't launch it because of rights issues.

Is there any workaround to this issue (specifying another folder for the plugins in a config file or in the registry)?

Thank you for your help.

We haven't had anybody report the need to remove execute permissions from the C:\ProgramData\ folder before. It would not seem to be very common practice.

Updaters for Adobe Acrobat Reader and their other products are also located here. As well as many DLL's which would also need execute permissions. So my first suggestion would be to revisit the need or practicality of this restriction.

The reason the plugins need are here is that we need to allow users to potentially add plugins in the future. Microsoft has made it so the program installation folder (C:\Program Files\) is not user writeable since Windows Vista so we can not depend on this.

We don't have any plans to change this for now.

But if you wish to try to workaround this, make a copy of everything under "C:\ProgramData\Wrensoft\Zoom Search Engine Indexer V7" to your custom path (e.g. "C:\CustomSoft\Zoom Search Engine V7\ProgramData\").

Next, edit your .zcfg configuration file in a text editor which supports UTF-16 Unicode encoding. Add the following line:

Code:
    #APPDATAPATH:C:\CustomSoft\Zoom Search Engine V7\ProgramData\
    I haven't tested this directly, but in theory, it should work.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll try this and let you know.

For the restriction, I can confirm that it's not really practical but this is something which will be impossible (sadly) to change.

Comment

Hi,

I tested your workaround solution. When I launch Zoom Search, it works fine and take into account the #APPDATAPATH value (confirmed by the fact that if I put an inappropriate one I receive an error message) but when I launch the indexation process, the config file is modified, the #APPDATAPATH line removed and I assume that the soft is reverting to the "c:\ProgramData\" folder since it can't launch the plug-in.

Any idea why the line is deleted and if there is a workaround for that also?

Thanks.

Comment

To get pass that, you'd have to use console mode and run the core engine directly. Do you have enterprise edition? You would need Enterprise for console mode.

You would then modify the .zcfg file as you did, but not start up the Indexer (which as you noted, overwrites it with the line removed).

Next, from the command prompt (or create a Windows Short Cut) with the following command in:

Code:
          "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zoom Search Engine 7.0\ZoomEngine.exe" -console -autorun "C:\files\myconfig.zcfg"
          Let us know if you still have trouble, or e-mail us directly and we can go into more details.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
          X