No announcement yet.

Linux: Force search_template_src.html be copied over with configuration setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux: Force search_template_src.html be copied over with configuration setting

I would like to have my search_template file to be updated with a search indexer activity. Is there a setting in the configuration that will force a replace.

I do not want to delete the file and then run the site indexer due to the time length required for an index.

I believe this is an option in the Zoom V5 days, but could not find it in the Linux configuration setup.

thanks in advance.

p.s. I am having fun testing and working with the Linux version. I am looking forward to implementing it into production once I figure out a ftp solution to move the results to the web server.

Not sure what you mean. How do you want the "search_template.html" file to be "updated"? Did you want a bit of text to be changed each time you re-index? Can you be more specific?

There wasn't any such ability in V5. There is the option to not upload/update the template file.

The other thing I can think of is that the meta charset tag would be initialized for you if the file did not exist, but that's probably not what you're talking about.

As for FTP and Linux -- generally users of the Linux product run the indexer on the web server itself (presumably running Linux). Is that not the case for you? It's a rarer situation when your desktop is Linux but your web server is Windows or BSD or something.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Sorry my question was unclear...

I want to force the tool to update the template file when I run the indexer. i.e. I want the index tool to take a current copy of search_template_src.html and place it in the search directory when we run the indexer. Where do I setup this configuration setting in V7 Linux?

Reason: We will have a dedicated index server for several websites. This allows us to maintain one copy of the search template and have index activities roll out template updates to the various search folders/websites.

Concerning FTP/Linux - due to the size of one of our websites, we offloaded search indexing from the server years ago with your product (v4 to be exact). We will have a dedicated index server that does all the indexing and migrate the files to the actual web servers (just like your windows products).

Comment

I see. Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you but, I do recall a much older version of Zoom where "search_template.html" in the output directory is always overwritten with the "search_template_src.html" file. I think it was actually V3 and earlier.

This has been changed (for quite some time now -- since V4 back in 2004 in fact) such that "search_template.html" is NOT ever overwritten if it already exists in the output directory. This actually allowed people to maintain multiple sites easier, provided they have specified a different output folder for each site (which was always the intended use).

In other words, you should be able to maintain multiple copies of the search_template.html file by maintaining multiple output directories. You should have a different output directory for each site / config file.

I can imagine your approach making sense if you previously always indexed to the same output directory for all your sites (e.g. a temp folder). And then after each indexing job, the files are uploaded to different folders/servers.

Let us know if this is confusing and we can further clarify. It has worked out alot better than our previous approach for most users.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I was hoping there was a config value that would indicate to update the search-template-src.html. This would provide the ability to control it from the config setting versus an all or nothing approach.

100% solutions never work for 100% of the users.

thank you.

jeff

Comment

Working...
          X