X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrate Google Analytics

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and zoom search.
    I don't have a server side language. I am using Javascript for my intranet.
    How do I add google analytics to my search, to track what my users are searching for.

Thank you.
    jknotek

Do you mean Google Analytics as in actually using Google's service to track your users search patterns?

Or are you referring to any form of tracking user search queries as "google analytics"?

In any case, your options are very limited.

First of all, you said your search and content is within your Intranet. This implies the content and pages are not accessible over the Internet. In which case, Google Analytics would not be able to analyse your pages or monitor the traffic in any way. Google Analytics can't access your Intranet, it can only see pages accessible to the public on the Internet.

Second, you said you are using Javascript and you do not have any server side language available. This means it is not possible for any submitted searches to be recorded. And so, no search pattern can be analysed if none can be recorded. Javascript is a client-side scripting platform. This means it only executes within the browser running on the visitor's computer. Nothing runs on the server side, so there is no central history of searches made.

If you would like to track the history and pattern of searches submitted, you need to set up a web server with a server side language such as PHP or Classic ASP (these platforms are the easiest to setup). Then you can enable search logs to be made, and you can use Zoom to analyse and report on the search patterns. This is described here.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thank you for the response.
      I am really interested in understanding how I add my google tracking code to the search?
      I am able to track intranet internally. Is there a place that the code needs to be added specifically?

Thank you.

Comment

As I said in the post above, the Google Analytics code would require tracking EXTERNALLY. You being able to track your intranet internally does not mean Google can.

The only way you can achieve this is to set up a server-side scripting environment such as PHP, use the PHP version, and enable search logging. And using the Zoom statistics report feature.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,
          I am not sure why I need to track exteranlly? I am tracking the internal traffic with in our organization using google analytics.
          I need to be able to track what they are searching for using Zoom Search.

Comment

Just try adding the analytics code to the search.html file. If it works then it works.

Comment

Working...
            X