SDK Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDK Question

Hi, I have two versions of the LinkBackURL file at my website. One is optimized for desktop browsers and the other is optimized for mobile browsers. I am using the same zdat files and search_template.html for both LinkBackURL versions.

The issue I am having is that when a mobile browser user clicks on the Next link or a Page Number at the bottom of the search results, it redirects them to the desktop LinkBackURL specified in settings.zdat instead of staying at the mobile LinkBackURL.

My guess is that this is because I currently only have one search.cgi file and need to have two versions of the search.cgi file as well as two versions of settings.zdat so that each one references the appropriate LinkBackURL.

Is this correct?
    Last edited by darren christopher; Sep-03-2015, 06:59 AM.

There is no way to change the LinkBackURL on the fly -- it would have to be set before hand at the time of indexing, and it's written into the settings.zdat file. So yes, your guess is correct.

If you want to use a different linkback URL depending on an additional parameter, or the query URL, that would need custom development to add such a feature. Since you inferred the SDK -- if you have the ability to do that (please note the development requirements to building your own CGI binary), it would allow you to do so.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Perfect, thank you Ray. I modified the search.php $SETTINGSFILE, "settings.zdat" and LinkBackURL successfully when I was running a smaller site, but the size of the site has increased to where I need to run CGI. At your website you indicate that you compiled the SDK on Windows using Visual Studio 2008. I am running an older version of Visual Studio 2006. Will Visual Studio 2006 compile it properly or should I upgrade to at least 2008? Thank you.

Comment

The documentation indicates that we are currently only testing with VS 2008, so we don't guarantee backwards compatibility. Having said that, I am not aware of any specific changes that would not compile with VS 2006, this is just to limit the amount of time we have to spend to ensure everything works on every compiler in the universe. If you are (or have) an experienced Windows C/C++ developer, there's a good chance you can get it to compile in VS2006. Having said that -- you may as well try it with 2006 first, and if that fails, upgrade to 2008.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thank you for your help Ray.

Comment

Working...
          X