Home » Forum
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

strange characters 

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • strange characters 

    we installed the latest asp.net version to our new website, we use the same template that you provided. when we view the search page, for some reason it has some strange characters  appear on the page. can you please help to fix that? thanks.

  • #2
    It is likely a result of character set mismatches, or maybe a byte order mark if the characters are at the start of the page.


    Is it possible to see the page?

    Comment


    • #3
      I have the same problem since I installed the actual ASP.NET control. The characters appear above "Seach results for...". Also the umlauts in the search result are not shown correctly. The pages are published with utf-8 and in the Indexer utf-8 Encoding is set.
      Also the result page shows an error that the process could not write to the search log file.

      Now I install the older Version of the control and everything works fine.
      Webserver is Windows 2012 Server.

      Comment


      • #4
        Is it possible to see the page?

        What versions of the ASP.NET control were you using?

        Comment


        • #5
          The page is http://www.dentaurum.de
          I don't know exactly which Version I'm using now, the DLL file is from March 2015.
          When I had the problem I used the Version which I downloaded here on October 1st.

          PS: Will be out of Office for the next 2 weeks, so I won't anser in the next 2 weeks.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm looking at your search page now and I don't see any such characters. Here's a search on your site for the word "test":
            http://www.dentaurum.de/eng/12600.aspx?zoom_query=test&zoom_per_page=10&zoom_a nd=1

            I would guess that it is most likely a Byte Order Mark (BOM) as suggested above. Probably in your search_template.html file. If you open and re-save this file in a text editor such as NotePad, you can select the encoding option as "UTF-8 without BOM". This is what you should use to remove the byte order marker.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

            Comment


            • #7
              I used the old ASPX control which doesn't have the problem, so you couldn't see the character. Now I again installed the actual version to reproduce the problem.

              You are right, when I save UTF-8 without BOM the character is gone. But I have another problem with Umlauts. When you search for test on the German version you can see that they are not displayed correctly:
              http://www.dentaurum.de/deu/12600.aspx?zoom_query=test&zoom_per_page=10&zoom_a nd=1

              This only happens with the actual ASPX control. When I use a older version of March of this year, it's correct.

              Comment


              • #8
                It's hard for us to judge this when we can't be sure how the file you are referencing ("12600.aspx") is calling the server control. Are you including the "search.aspx" file within your page?

                In any chance, can you check how the output is behaving with the default "search.aspx" page as provided without modifications?

                Can you also make sure your Indexer configuration has "Use UTF-8" selected, and your index was made with this setting?
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

                Comment


                • #9
                  In 12600.aspx I included this at the position where the result appears:
                  <%@ Register TagPrefix="ZoomASPX" Namespace="ZoomASPX" Assembly="ZoomASPX" %>
                  <ZoomASPX:ASPXSearch id="ASPXSearch" runat=server/>

                  I tried with default search.aspx but the problem is the same:
                  http://www.dentaurum.de/deu/search.aspx

                  Yes, in the Indexer UTF-8 is selected in "Language". I re-indexed today to be sure that the index corresponds to this setting.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The page is evidently double encoding the UTF-8.

                    Can you ZIP up your index files (all .zdat files and search.aspx) along with your .zcfg configuration file and email them to us? We can then take a closer look if anything has been modified.
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We have confirmed that there is a bug in the previous build of the ASP.NET Server Control regarding UTF-8 characters.

                      Please upgrade to the latest server control V7 build 1028 which addresses this:
                      http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/aspdotnet.html

                      Note that you will have to uninstall your existing server control (via Windows Control Panel -> Uninstall a program) prior to installing the latest.
                      --Ray
                      Wrensoft Web Software
                      Sydney, Australia
                      Zoom Search Engine

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X