X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error message: Permission denied

From the php page, if I try to start zoom I get the error:

Launching Engine ....
    Error: Unable to launch zoom, permission denied.

This is a production system that has been in production for months. I don't see anything in the changelog we keep that would suggest what has changed.

System is x64 Redhat running Zoom 7 on Apache.

I checked the permission in the zoom folder and ran a restorecon -r just in case.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Bruce

When you say that it has been in production for months -- do you mean the same installation of the Zoom indexer has been working previously and only just stopped working? Did you upgrade to a new build since?

It does seem like a permission issue. In particular make sure the executables ZoomEngine and ZoomEngine64 have execute permission.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
      When you say that it has been in production for months -- do you mean the same installation of the Zoom indexer has been working previously and only just stopped working? Did you upgrade to a new build since?

It does seem like a permission issue. In particular make sure the executables ZoomEngine and ZoomEngine64 have execute permission.
      Yes,
      We have two web servers, running the same content with the same build on zoom. Each has been indexing daily and working fine since April. Two days ago one of the servers started giving that error and yesterday the other started.

We have one web admin and I asked him about it and no changes were made to zoom. I checked the permissions and they are set to allow execute.

This is a redhat system and it does use that file protection tech to make sure files aren't changed. It can give permissions errors. I went ahead and used restorecon on the folders and no luck.

Thanks for your help!
      Bruce

Comment

Also, I wanted to mention that search work on the server. I can search (does it use the ZoomEngine?)? I just can't hit start to have it reindex anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post

No upgrades have been performed. We have two like servers running all identical tech. Two days ago one of the two servers started giving this error when hitting START. Yesterday the other started doing it.

I checked permissions and execute is set. Since its red hat and it has that web protection stuff, I made sure to use restorecon also.

Thanks,
          Bruce

Comment

The search does not use the ZoomEngine executable. Only the indexing does.

Strange that it was working before and stopped working with no changes on your system. We couldn't reproduce it here on our test machines, they are working fine.

We'll investigate the issue further but if possible, open up a support ticket (email us directly as mentioned on the Support page) and provide more information such as the version of PHP you are using. Or even give us temporary remote ssh/login access and we can take a look.

Try launching the executable directly from the terminal, i.e.

./ZoomEngine
            or
            ./ZoomEngine64

It should launch with some messages indicating the version and build.

If that runs successfully, then it will be either a case of the version of PHP having some changes, or the account running PHP/Apache, etc.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

When you get back to us regarding the PHP version ... also check if your PHP has safe mode enabled (safe_mode in the PHP configuration). If so, this would prevent the exec call from launching the Zoom executable unless the Zoom location was added to the safe_mode_exec_dir setting or safe mode is disabled.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
              X